Introduction to Human Health Risk Assessment
Is it ‘safe’ to use the chemical in this way?
Many countries have, as part of their chemical control and worker safety regulations, a requirement for a scientific assessment to be undertaken. These are called human health risk assessments.
The purpose of this introductory webinar is to cover the basics of chemical risk assessment for human health. It is perfect for anyone who needs to understand the approach to undertaking human health risk assessments and/or is involved in product stewardship.
The session will cover the risk assessment process, specifically
- Hazard identification – including the type of data which can be used, where it can be found, how to assess its reliability.
- Hazard characterisation/dose-response assessment – thresholded/non-thresholded effects. How to use uncertainty/safety/assessment factors.
- Exposure assessment – exposure groups, exposure duration, measurements or use of models, exposure pathways. How chemistry can be used to predict likely exposure routes.
- Risk characterisation and risk management – how to undertake the risk characterisation, and the role of risk management.
The webinar will enable those attending the webinar to understand the underlying principles of risk assessment, data sources and evaluation of quality and reliability. Furthermore, it will show you how to link the data to exposure assessment and interpret the result. Worked examples will be used to illustrate the theory.
- This training webinar is specifically designed for anyone who is involved in chemical control regulations registration work, product stewardship, workplace risk assessments, etc.
- Training notes complementing the webinar
- Copy of all slides used during the training
- Copy of the live recording
- Certificate of attendance (if required)
- You can also ask questions at any time during or after the training webinar class
Laura holds an MSc in Applied Toxicology, a BSc (Hons) Chemistry, PgC Occupational Hygiene and PGCE Post Compulsory Teaching Qualification.
She has worked for many years in industry working in product stewardship which includes writing safety data sheets, classification and labelling, regulatory submissions and workplace risk assessments. She is an experienced trainer and a published author.
Her recent book ‘A Practical Guide to Toxicology and Human Health Risk Assessment (John Wiley & Sons, December 2018)
Unable to attend the scheduled date/time of webinar?
Please contact me if you are unable to attend a scheduled date/time of a webinar and we can schedule one-off dates/times to suit.
This is particularly useful if you are based on the west coast of the USA/Canada or Asia-Pacific region where the timings of the webinars might be inconvenient!